Canada Permanent Visa

HUD-FHA-VA Loan Requirements For Manufactured Homes - Permanent Foundations and Gaining Compliance

How can I gain compliance with the HUD/FHA requirements for my manufactured home permanent foundation?

According to federal regulations, in order to meet the requirements for a manufactured home permanent foundation you must comply with the Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing, (HUD-7584), dated September 1996.

ALL foundation certifications for manufactured homes require an inspection to determine compliance.

At a minimum, there are several compliance issues that must be met; these are:

  1. A permanent skirting around the perimeter.
  2. Permanent piers to support the structure.
  3. Anchorage to resist loads caused by wind and earthquake forces.
  4. And others...

A professional engineer in the state where the house is located must certify that the foundation is in compliance, or non-compliant. Each M.H. is site specific, and loan specific; so there is not cookbook scenario. Each M.H. must be evaluated separately.

So, you probably say, "Why is a professional licensed engineer required for a foundation certification?". I'm glad you asked.

Foundation systems are a complex engineering design process. In order to safeguard, life, health and property, to promote the public welfare, and to establish and maintain a high standard of integrity and practice, a professional licensed engineer is required.

An experienced engineer that is familiar with the manufactured home industry can evaluate the M.H. and determine whether the foundation is in compliance to HUD standards. However, every engineer does not necessarily have the experience to properly evaluate the site and determine its standing with HUD. It takes a knowledge of the HUD code book (which most engineers are not even aware of) and a keen knowledge of the manufactured housing building industry.

A particular manufactured (mobile) home could be in compliance as-is. However, you can't necessarily make that determination until an on-site inspection is completed. It is a wise to remember that before you start trying to retrofit an existing M.H. to bring it up to HUD's Permanent Foundation Standards, you need to hire an experienced Engineer familiar with M.H. foundation certifications from day one. It can save a lot of time, and money.

About the author: Ed Harrison, PE is a licensed professional engineer in a multitude of states across the country and is the owner of Foundation Certifications. He works with mortgage lenders, loan officers, real estate agents, and private parties across the United States with their manufactured home foundations and loans. He is an expert in the field of FHA/HUD/VA compliant manufactured home foundations. His engineering firm provides not only certifications for HUD compliant manufactured home foundations, but they are also a full service civil and structural engineering design firm. To learn more about Ed Harrison and his company, go to


No comments:

Post a Comment