Work Live In Canada

Can my foreign husband/wife work in the U.S.? How do I get his/her work visa after getting married?

America is a dreamland of opportunities and there are many foreign nationals who have found a better living in the United States of America. Among these foreign nationals who had immigrated into the United States, many of them have been married to the U.S. citizens through email and Internet. The number of Americans marrying foreigners is increasing every year and has achieved a cancerous growth. Every year thousands of Americans find their prospective spouses in foreign land through foreign trips, email marriages or through mail order bride facility. The important reason why many Americans prefer foreign brides/grooms is that, they are unable to find the man/girl of their dreams through the conventional American dating system.

If you are one of those the U.S. citizens who have married a foreigner, you have to get your foreign spouse a U.S. marriage visa, so that he/she can stay in the United States legally. There are two types of U.S. marriage visas that you can get your spouse. They are

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1 marriage visa)

Nonimmigrant visa for spouse - K-3 marriage visa

With the help of these U.S. spouse visas, you can bring your foreign spouse into America legally and without any complications, provided all the U.S. marriage visa requirements are met.

If your spouse wants to work in the United States of America after your marriage, it is not necessary that he/she has to apply for a separate U.S.A work visa. It is mandatory for a normal foreigner to get a U.S.A work visa, in order to work in the U.S. But if the foreigner is married to an American citizen, in your case, he/she needn't apply for a U.S.A work visa. The K-3 marriage visa is more than enough for your spouse to be employed legally in America. With this U.S. marriage visa, he/she has to file form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization document, which is a work permit. When he/she enters the U.S.A as an immigrant on a U.S. spouse visa, your spouse will receive a passport stamp, which authorizes him/her to be employed in the United States legally. As a result, this K-3 marriage visa is proof enough for to enjoy the benefits of a green card holder till she gets one.

Similarly in the case of a conditional U.S. spouse visa (IR1 or CR1), your spouse can apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765, and thus get the permission to work in the United States legally. Having said all that, getting a U.S. spouse visa is not a cakewalk and requires a lot of care and attention to detail. A small error in the application form will result in denial or rejection of your spouse's petition. He/she might not be able to enter the United States legally, thus losing her chance to find a future with you in America. Extreme caution has to be exercised while filling up the form, and all the necessary documents should be attached without fail.

If you feel you might go wrong in filing the petition for a U.S. marriage visa, then you can make use of the e-books sold by These e-books from provide information and suggestions on filling up your form without any mistakes and the documents you should carry. These e-books will take you through the entire procedure of the marriage visa with commendable ease.

About the author:


No comments:

Post a Comment